Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Simply Sweet Sara


It's been too long since I have posted.... my apologies. I have much to update you on, but this true story can't wait for time. And since it is just a short story, my bedtime can be stretched even further tonight. 

So I am watching three of my students this week FULL TIME. I became an instant mom of 3 girls (ages 5, 7, and 9) last Friday. It started out with the normal bumps- I don't cut the ham in the eggs like there mom does and I refrigerated the milk that they prefer warm (cultural training 101)... There are many other awesomely funny and splendidly enjoyable moments that we have had together thus far that I will share this weekend (promise! See, now I'm accountable to you, and you have to come back and check up on me)!

Ok, ok so the totally sweet moment tonight....

I have loved on Sara for what feels like so long now (which is really just since June when I got the job with B2B and began praying for my students and August 25 when I arrived and September something when I began teaching her in school). And you should know a morsel more about Sara that I have since learned...Sara is one sweet, yet strong individual, whose colors are rarely, if ever shown on the outside. So I have longed to have her love. Tonight, with the privilege of getting to tuck her in to bed I decided to sing her to sleep. The confidence of a six-year-old when asked if they can sing has long since left me. Although every once in awhile I try to put on my big girl pants and "not care anyway", I was a bit hesitant. I sang: 

"I love you Lord, and I lift my voice, to worship You. O my soul rejoice! 
Take joy my King in what You hear let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear." 

And yes, as I sang to Sara I was praying those words to Jesus. The first verse came out confidently, in total adoration of King Jesus. However, by the second verse, moments of doubt slipped in and I sang the words as a prayer "Please Jesus, I can't make eggs the right way, at least let this sound good! I think my 28 year old self would be totally mortified if she negatively commented on my voice." Well, the Lord had mercy on me tonight and every time I would finish Sara would ask shyly (because she didn't know when I would say "we must go to sleep love"), "Teacher, you sing that again please?" 

Here's the pie! (Ice cream, whipped cream cherry, whatever you like best! Here it is...)

After I sang one last time and gently stroked her forehead I said "te quiero" (I love you) and in a soft, still, steady voice her teddy bear brown eyes met mine perfectly and she said "me too." And the curtain fell...

1 comment: